Dear Sisters and Brothers of IAM District Lodge 142,
As seen in the District Lodge 142 Trusteeship letter attached, the upcoming elections are suspended for ONLY District Lodge 142 President/Directing General Chair, Vice Presidents, Trustee and General Chairs positions until further notice.
For Local Lodges represented by both District Lodge 142 and District Lodge 141, please know that District 141 elections will continue per the election notices. In addition, all Local Lodge elections will continue as posted per your Local Lodge bylaws. All regular meetings scheduled for Local Lodges and its affiliates, such as those for retirees and shop stewards, will continue as scheduled.
We will communicate with you transparently throughout this process. As indicated in the attached letter, the Trusteeship was imposed due to concerns of financial mismanagement and failure to follow our governing rules. These concerns include, but are not limited to:
- Creating an undisclosed, unauthorized account of approximately $270,000 unbeknownst to the membership or controlling body and failing to properly invest those resources;
- Paying thousands of dollars in expenditures without proper authorization, including, but not limited to, improperly paying thousands of dollars a month for unused or unidentified phone equipment and lines;
- Failing to report hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Department of Labor or Internal Revenue Service in violation of federal law;
- Leaving General Chairs and other employees at risk by failing to pay some state unemployment or withholdings;
- Failure to adhere to the IAM’s internal fiduciary controls, including, but not limited to, by using a rubber stamp for signatures, not using a Master Voucher, and not reading financial reports at District Lodge meetings.
There will be a trusteeship hearing on Wednesday, February 16, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. at the Residence Inn by Marriot Kansas City Airport, 10300 North Ambassador Dr., Kansas City, MO 64153, that will answer many, if not all, questions.
Trusteeship is an administrative procedure impacting the internal workings of the District Lodge to ensure your District is operating in accordance with the laws and our rules protecting your finances. This matter will have no effect on the servicing of our District Lodge 142 membership, including contract negotiations, lodge meetings, grievance handling, or any other matter related to your representation on the job. All District Lodge 142 General Chairs, Vice Presidents and Trustees will continue in their positions. The IAM will keep fighting fiercely for your well-being, your families and every District Lodge 142 member.
The IAM is the largest and most powerful airline union in the world in large part because of our long history of putting the interests of the membership first. As such, the financial stewardship of your dues dollars and your representation on the job are two of the highest priorities and commitments we make to you, our valued members of District Lodge 142.
We look forward to keeping you updated on this matter and protecting the values of the IAM.
Special Assistant to the International President
Transportation Grand Lodge Representative